|Mathew, son of Chummar and Tresa of Kavukattu family from Anthinadu (Pravithanam) near Palai was born on 17th July 1904. After the elementary education at Anthinadu School he joined the St. Thomas High School, Pala. After the School final in 1923 he joined St. Berchmans College Changanacherry for his Higher Education. After two years there he pursued his studies in Trivandrum where he graduated in 1927. He joined the St. Thomas Minor Seminary at Kottayam on 1st June 1928 and then to Aluva for the major Seminary. He was ordained a priest on 21st December 1935 by Bishop Kalassery together with 19 others. He offered his first Mass on 24th of the same month in his home parish. For 15 years he served the church in various capacities: as pastor, teacher, Headmaster, Director of ministries etc
On 9th November 1950 Fr. Mathew Kavukattu was ordained Bishop in Rome. On 3rd January 1951he assumed the post of the Bishop of Changanacherry. In 1956 the Diocese of Changanacherry was raised to Arch Diocese and Bishop Kavukattu became the first Arch Bishop. The silver Jubilee of his Priestly ordination was in 1959 – 1960. He requested the faithful a housing scheme for the homeless in the diocese as a Jubilee gift. Mar Kavukattu played a very prominent role in the council of Vatican II and the Eucharistic Congress of Bombay. He was very well taken care of by his relatives and the people of the diocese. He passed away in the early hours of 9th October 1969. on 25th September 1994 he was declared Servant of God.